Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 38: Crazy Spaniards

It's raining again...

Crazy story of the week: So we were out contacting in the street on the way home one night when we stopped this huge hairy Spaniard. We introduced ourselves and such and he was quick to reject us. He didn't say a word. He just turned around and started marching off. And then I was like "Hey, we do service as well if you're interested! We're teaching English classes!" And then he turned around and yelled in perfect English "I don't need you to teach me English!" And then he starts a full-out sprint towards me and, holy goodness gracious, I felt like I was in a bull fight arena. He ran right in to me and shoved me and I tumbled to the ground. It was like a mortal combat scene. I don't know what it is with people shoving me lately. I swear I didn't do anything. But then he just walked off and that was it. Crazy people here.

So Elder Bartholomew and his companion are staying in our piso this week!! Their assignment this transfer is to visit all the branches in the north to clean up membership records. Apparently, a lot of people have moved or changed phone numbers or died, so their purpose is to just figure out where people are. So this week, they're working in our branch here in Santiago! It's been soooo cool to see him again! He was my companion in Torrejon a few months ago. He's definitely my best friend in the mission. So it's been super fun in our piso! He brought
his ukulele up here so we've been having some nice jam sessions.

We saw a miracle yesterday! We were contacting in a park when we stopped this dude chilling with his 2 kids. We showed them a pamphlet of the family proclamation and this dude was so interested! He said he had never heard of this before and that he was so down to listen to us! So we walked over to the Bake's piso with his family and taught them! His name is Marlon and his 2 kids are Sebastián and Samuel. That lesson was soooo cool! We gave them a Book of Mormon and they said they would read it together as a family! We have another appointment with them this week and we're so pumped! I have so much faith in this family!

I'm so grateful for this time I have to be a missionary. It has gone by ridiculously fast, but it's been amazing. I'm so grateful for this opportunity I have to share with others the fact that we have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us personally. With such a strong testimony of that, how could the pouring rain every day stop me from pressing forward? Elder Murset, a good friend of mine serving in Seattle, said this in one of his emails home: "Nowhere else would these kinds of experiences happen! Where else can I run through the rain in a white
shirt and tie, carrying a Book of Mormon and ready to testify to every living soul I see that this Gospel is true and that Christ lives! Amazingly great experience out here. This is truly the Lord's work. Without Him, none of this would be even close to possible."  I just want to add to that my testimony of the Savior. I know He
lives. I'm so grateful to be here in Santiago,Spain testifying to others that He loves us. We may face challenges such as bad weather or constant rejection, but I know that this is the work of the Lord! And it's the most rewarding work ever! I love being a missionary! There's nothing better than helping people come to know their Savior!

I hope you all have an awesome week!

Elder Hendrix

Btw, here's a scripture I read this week, 2 Nephi 9:51: "...do not spend money for that which is of no worth." I would invite each of you to apply this into your lives this week by choosing the right when considering which fast food restaurant will most likely meet your physical and spiritual needs. Chickfila is always the way to go.
Don't waste your money on anyplace else.

No comments:

Post a Comment