Monday, May 16, 2016

Week 40: Elder Bednar in Madrid!

Elder Hendrix and Hermana Contreras,
who he knew in his Torrejon district. 
 
Elder Hendrix with two temporary companions
during his visit to Madrid to see Elder Bednar.
They met the Polish woman and the man on
 the right is an investigator.  They are in Burger King.

This has been the longest week ever. But it's ok because we got to see Elder Bednar! I drove down to Madrid Thursday morning with the Bakes to fill an extra seat in their car so we wouldn't have to pay for a train ticket. There was only room for one person, so my companion stayed in the north with some other elders and they came down Saturday morning. But basically Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I hung out with random elders in Madrid. I've been a traveling companionless missionary for 3 days. It was a ton of fun though! 

Anyway Saturday night was the conference with Elder Bednard. It was sooo cool! Such an amazing experience that I will never forget! He did a question and answer thing and it was such a cool 3 hours! One thing he talked about was how we focus too much and worry too much about having perfect lessons and being perfect teachers rather than allowing the spirit to give the perfect lessons and be the perfect teacher. We worry because we don't feel like we have enough knowledge. We worry because we don't know answers to every question. We worry because we don't know where the sword of Laban is. We worry because we're nervous. We spend too much time thinking about ourselves as the ones to convert the people rather than allowing the spirit to use us. The spirit is who talks to the people. The spirit is who touches their hearts. 

Sister Bednar talked about how there are a lot of people who say "So-and-so was my missionary! This missionary converted me and showed me the gospel!" But are we really the people who do the converting? No. It's the spirit. We are simply bridges, allowing the spirit to cross over and speak to them. We are the instruments. Therefore, we need to quit spending so much time worrying about what to say, or worrying about having a bad lesson. Because we're not the teachers. The spirit is the teacher. Now, this doesn't give an excuse to slack off and rely on the spirit to do what we didn't study for. We have to do our part and invite. We have to pray, study, be worthy, be faithful, work hard, be diligent, be obedient.... and then stop worrying. I have so much love for the Bednars. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to hear from a literal apostle of God. I know that he is a special witness of Him and that he has been set apart by the power of the priesthood as a prophet, seer, and revelator. So awesome hearing from him! He didn't shake hands, but that's ok. His counsel was so inspiring! Anyway, after the meeting, everyone went outside and we got to talk to friends in the mission and it was awesome! 

AND THEN THE COOLEST THING EVER HAPPENED. My comp had to go to the bathroom (that's not the thing). So we went to the bathroom upstairs in the chapel because nobody knows about it and there were a million people in the one downstairs. So we were in there doing our stuff, and as I pulled the door to go out, this guy was walking in at the same time AND THAT GUY WAS ELDER BEDNAR. I KID YOU NOT. I WOULD HAVE PEED MYSELF IF I HADN'T JUST PEED. He shook my hand and gave me a shoulder grab and it was the most intense moment of my life haha. And then his body guard stood outside the door while he was inside. But DUDE I MET ELDER BEDNAR AND IT WAS CRAZY! AND in a bathroom!

We stayed in Madrid yesterday morning to go to church. It was stake conference for the Madrid East stake, which is MY OLD STAKE. I got to see all of my friends from good ol' Torrejón! It was amazing! So many faces I've missed so much!! It was so awesome seeing everyone again!

We drove back late last night. It's been a crazy week, but such a memorable one!

I love you all!! Have an awesome week! I would give a shout out to all you 2016 graduates, but 2015 was already the best. Stay safe!

Elder Hendrix

Elder Hendrix emailing his mom.
Elder Hendrix shakes hands with Hermana Iregui
who was in his Torrejon district.
Elder Hendrix in Madrid with some temporary
companions and hermanas.

No comments:

Post a Comment