| Elder Hendrix says goodbye to Tyler and Summer Hawes before they move back to the U.S. |
A few months ago, we stopped this guy named Elton in the street. We had a nice conversation and he told us he would be totally down to here our message in his home. He didn't have a phone because he had just barely moved here from Brazil and was still working on getting one, but he gave us his address. Since then, we have tried passing by his place several times. There was never an answer. His piso is about an hour walk from ours, so there has been some discouragement in the past when we go over there to find nobody. And the waterfalls coming from the sky don't make the hike over there much better. We stopped trying to visit him about a month ago.
Well, this past Saturday, we were out contacting in the street and I had this sudden impression that we needed to go try Elton one more time. It was getting late and it had started to rain again, but for some reason I just felt like we needed to go over there. We headed that direction, made it, and rang the bell. And....nothing. No answer. We rang again. Still nothing. I felt so discouraged and confused. Why did I feel like we had to come over here? We said a prayer right there in the doorway asking God why we were led over here. And immediately after I said amen, we had the idea of trying one of the neighbors. There are 4 pisos in this building, and to enter the building, you have to ring someone's bell so they can buzz you in. So I tried one of the neighbors, waited a few seconds, and then we heard the door unlock. They buzzed us in! We entered, and walked up the stairs to the door that we had rang. We knocked, but nobody was answered. They buzzed us in, so there had to be someone home right? Well, there was no answer when we knocked.
We went up to Elton's piso and tried knocking on his door. We heard the door handle turn and then it opened and then boom! Elton answered! He seemed so surprised but happy! He let us enter and we sat down and talked for a while and had a really awesome lesson! His wife was there and we taught them both with their 2 year old daughter. We taught the plan of salvation and it was one of the most powerful lessons I've ever been a part of. This family is ready. They're ready for the gospel in their lives. They were so willing to listen and to hear what we have to share. They were the nicest people! They thanked us so many times for coming by. We have another appointment next week and we're really excited! As we headed out their door, Elton stopped us and asked how we even got inside the building. Turns out his bell doesn't work, which is the reason we've never been able to enter. So when we buzz his piso number, they don't hear anything.
We told him we rang one of the neighbors' pisos and they let us in. And then he explained to us that nobody lives there. The other pisos have been vacant for months. Nobody could have buzzed the door open because there's nobody there. So how did the door open? I don't know how, but that door was somehow opened. An electrical problem maybe? Luck? To me, it was a God working in a mysterious way and blessing us with a miracle. He knew that Elton was up there in his piso with his family waiting to hear from us.
D&C 6:5 "Therefore, if you will ask of me you shall receive; if you will knock it shall be opened unto you." We literally knocked on this door and it was opened. I do not believe this was just a coincidence. I believe that this was God blessing us and showing us that we really can see miracles if we have the faith. My testimony of his love has increased this week. I know that he wants to bless us. We are His children and he wants us to experience miracles. I LOVE being a missionary!!!!!
Gonzalo is progressing and is ready for baptism! We had to change his date to the 21st because we'll be in Madrid for Elder Bednar on his original baptism date. But we're so excited! His birthday was yesterday but he still came to church! And he loved it! This guy is seriously a stud and he's just gold. We've taught him all the lessons already. He's prepared! He's anxious and excited to get dunked! The branch is super pumped too. They're really friendly to Gonzalo and they all want to be his friend! There hasn't been a baptism in this branch for over 6 years. The last baptism was the current branch president's.
| Tyler Haws (branch mission leader) with Gonzalo, who will be baptized this month. |
I'm so grateful to be a missionary. I know that Santiago is where the Lord needs me right now. I'm so grateful for this calling! I love missionary work! I leave you with my testimony that I know God loves us. He knows each of us personally. He wants us to experience happiness. He wants to bless us with miracles. That is a fact!
I love you all and I hope you have an amazing week! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL YOU MOMS, ESPECIALLY MY MOM.
Elder Hendrix
| Elder Hendrix on a Skype call to his family on Mother's Day. |
| The Santiago branch. |
| A zone meeting in Lugo. Elders Gustafsen and Bartholomew were previous companions to Elder Hendrix. |
No comments:
Post a Comment