Last Monday and Tuesday I had an exchange with Elder Aussant in my district. He's a stud! He's from Canada and speaks French, Englis,and now Spanish. Before coming to Spain, he had to wait on his visa, so he served in the Montreal Canada mission for a few transfers where he was companions with Elder Guttierez from the Gilbert Ranch Ward in my stake! Small world haha. We had dinner with a family Tuesday. They cooked paella and it was amazing!! Before my mission, everyone told me they're so excited for me to have paella. I was definitely not disappointed!
So Elder Aussant and his companion, Elder Phillips, live here in Torrejón, but they work in a city called Coslada like 15 minutes away on the Renfe. They're the first missionaries to work in this area, so they don't have any investigators yet. Anyway, Elder Aussant got really sick one day this week, which just so happened to be the one day they had an appointment with a street contact they met, so there was no way they would let this fail. So they asked Elder Gustafson and I to go for them. We met this guy, Steven, outside the Renfe stop in Coslada, and taught him the restoration. And it went sooo good! He had a bunch of questions and just wanted to learn!! He prayed for the first time in his life with us. I felt an incredibly strong prompting to invite him to be baptized by someone holding priesthood authority, and I could not let this prompting go. So for the very first time in my life, and in very broken Spanish, I extended a baptismal invitation. And he accepted!!! AND he came to church yesterday!! Aw. I'm so excited for the Elders to teach him!! They have an appointment with him this week and I'm so excited to hear how it goes! They finally have an investigator! Weeks of straight contacting pays off!
Great things are happening! This story has two morals... 1) never give up, no matter how many rejections you get. And 2) never buy discounted lasagnes cause they might make Elder Aussant sick.
Remember that baptism I talked about last week? With that mom and her son with the broken leg? They got baptized on Saturday!!! It was so cool! I love seeing baptism!! They both shared their testimonies after and the spirit was so there!! They've been ready for so long and it was so exciting to finally see them enter the gate! I'm so happy for them! The missionaries were asked to do a musical number, so we did the primary song A Child's Prayer, and I played the piano. They were confirmed yesterday in sacrament meeting. They looked so happy!!!
![]() |
| Elders Hendrix and Phillips at Daniel's baptism. |
part of the song, so then they started celebrating. And then we all jumped in and started dancing. And that's how it ended... It was pretty cheesy haha but people laughed and they liked it! It was so much fun! After all the skit/dance/song things whatever you call them, we had a ton of food. Each country had to bring food from their
country. So I got to try food from all different places! It was amazing! It was such a fun night!! And we had a few of our investigators there, so it was a cool opportunity to introduce them to some members in the ward. They had such a good time!!
| At the ward party, Noche de Naciones, the missionaries represented the U.S. |
| Noche de Naciones, where 9 countries were represented by ward members. |
Elder Gustafson is super awesome. We get along so well! I feel like we've known each other forever. We've made a deal together... I do all the dishes and he irons my shirts. It's great! I haven't ironed a single shirt on my mission! He's such a good trainer. I sometimes feel discouraged about the language, or when I don't understand anything, but he is very uplifting and it makes a huge difference! I've learned that service is so important in a companionship. It really strengthens the relationship and brings the spirit. Charity for your companion has
a huge effect on the work. Just like Brother Mask always says in mission prep, when in doubt, pray for charity! Truth!
I miss all of you so much! Send me emails! And pictures! Have a great week!
Elder Hendrix

No comments:
Post a Comment