So we started teaching a Nigerian couple how to read this week. Their names are Isaac and Juliet, and they're awesome! They've been members for a few years now. I think they're in like their 40s. We've only had four reading classes with them so far, and they're already learning so much! They have the alphabet memorized and they can pronounce every letter. It's amazing how much better they're already doing! They both grew up in really bad parts of Nigeria, and where education wasn't that great. Their stories are incredible. They've been through soooo much. But hey now they're here in Spain, happier than ever, and actively participating in the gospel. Fun stuff.
We had piso inspections this week. Fortunately, my companion is a clean freak, so we overachieved. We apparently have the cleanest piso in the whole mission. One of the senior couples did the inspections. After us, they were supposed to go check the hermanas piso, but they somehow left their keys in their piso and locked themselves out... So Elder Bartholomew and I spent forever trying to help them break in cause their landlord is out of town and a locksmith costs a ton. It took way too long, but we did it! The whole story is actually really
epic...we climbed up the side of a building and such. Basically, we're heroes.
The Africans are continuing to feed us. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I always leave their homes feeling like something died inside me. This week, I had cow stomach, rabbit brain, and more goat meat. And then to finish the week off, some Ecuadorians fed us octopus and squid tongue. Yay.
We had a world wide capacitation for all the missionaries this week! It was super cool! We got to hear from some apostles. Elder Bednar spit straight fire. Soooo powerful. He talked about how the members of the church have a great responsibility in participating in missionary work and helping the missionaries. He explained to us that when we, as missionaries, ask for references or for people we can teach, we should ask more specific questions. Like who do you that has recently moved? Who do you know that has kids? Who do you know that has had a recent death in the family? Everybody knows someone that doesn't have the gospel in their lives, and can use it. I gave a talk in sacrament yesterday and talked about this. I stressed the importance of being
member missionaries. And I guess it really caught their attention, because by the time church was over, we received 6 references! So I'd also like to invite all you, mi fanclub de casa, to think about who you know. Who do you know that doesn't have the gospel in their lives? Missionaries are ready to teach!
There's a pretty good chance that I'm getting transferred next week. I'm gonna miss Torrejón a ton. I love this place so much! But I'm excited to start another adventure. We'll find out soon!
I just want to share with you my testimony that I know this gospel is real. Jesus Christ is our Savior. It is only through Him that we can be saved and once again live in the presence of our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for the prophet Joseph Smith who restored the Gospel on the earth. And I am so happy to be here sharing that message. This church is true. The book is blue.
Les amo y les echo de menos muchísimo. Espero que tengan una buena semana!!!
Con cariño,
Elder Hendrix
No comments:
Post a Comment