Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 25: North, here I come!

Hello fan club de casa

I've been transferred. My service in good ol Torrejon has come to an end. I'm going up north to a town called Santiago. It rains there all time and it's super cold. I'm really excited. I'll be really close to the coast! My companion is Elder Wither. He's from Peru. He has been in the field for about 8 months. I hear he is super nice and humble and obedient. I called him last night and we talked for a little bit. He seems super cool!! I'm not sure if he speaks English... We talked in Spanish and I didn't ask. But I'm really excited! He apparently bought a ukulele and is waiting for someone to teach him! He seems pretty funny. I think we will get along just fine!

Elder Bart is staying in Torrejon, and was actually called to be the zone leader. I'm really excited for him. I know he will do awesome. He's changed a lot in the past 8 weeks. Man he's awesome now. I love him to death. I only spent one transfer with him and it went by soooo fast. He's like my best friend. I'm really gonna miss him. We've got like 100 years worth of double dates planned.

Elder Hendrix and his district before transfers.

Elders Bartholomew and Hendrix say goodbye.
So I'm sitting in the train right now. I've got 8 hours left. Hermana Graff is my companion haha. I've been serving with her since the start. She has been in Torrejon for 4 transfers. She's only one transfer older than me. Everyone knew that we were gonna be the ones leaving Torrejon. But never would have guessed we're leaving to the same district again!! Haha I'm super excited I'll know someone in my district.

Torrejon was amazing. I don't think I realized how much I love the mission field until I left my first area. It felt like I was leaving home again. It sucked. It didn't hit me that I'm being transferred until yesterday. The bishop asked Hermana Graff and I to come share our testimonies and say goodbye and such, and I remember standing up there at the podium just looking at all the faces in the congregation. I might not ever see them again. I have so much love for these people. I want to help them and serve them and be here for them. I didn't realize how much they mean to me. They've all been so amazing. It got me thinking about my first week here. I didn't know anything. I didn't know any Spanish, I had never been that far away from home, I didn't understand why I was there... My first few months were so discouraging. I would get frustrated so easily. But looking back, I've come so far. I worked out of my comfort zone, I'm speaking Spanish, I've come to love the people... Man I love the mission. I feel like charity has a whole new meaning now. I remember one day in mission prep when Brother Mask explained charity as loving the people so much that you just never want to leave them. I understand what it feels like now. It freaking sucks haha. But I love it. Charity is what makes successful mission. You don't have to be fluent in Spanish, or know how to ride the metro without losing balance. You just gotta love everyone and serve them and be a friend. I couldn't have asked for a more amazing first area. I will never forget that place. It was definitely the best 4 months and 3 days of my life, so far!!

I think the hardest goodbye was with one of our investigators, Felix. That guy has come sooooo far. This gospel has completely changed him. His life is totally different. He's getting baptized soon and I'm so proud of him. There is no way I will lose contact with him.
Elder Hendrix says goodbye to Felix.
Here are some stories from my last week!

1. We had a huge FHE one night this week for the whole ward. So Elder Bart and I went to buy food. We got 60 hotdogs, 60 buns, a ton of ketchup and mustard, and 10 bags of chips. Well, after that, we spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning our piso, which means we had a ton of trash to take out. We had to take like 5 trips downstairs to throw all the trash bags in the dumpster. And so after, we were on our way to the church, when we we realized we were missing something... The food. So we rushed back to piso, and looked everywhere, but couldn't find it for some reason. And then all of a sudden Elder Bart yells "FETCH!!!!" as he's looking out the window watching the garbage truck empty the dumpster. Bart threw away the food. I take zero blame. There
goes your tithing money. 

2. We taught a less active this week named Jessica. We found her name on the ward list and didn't recognize it, so we went and stopped by her home. We talked for a little bit. She told us she hadn't been to church in over 8 years. She said has always felt afraid and needs someone to help her feel welcomed. All we did was extend a simple invitation, and GUESS WHAT. SHE CAME TO CHURCH. And she loved it! A ton of members talked to her and she felt really happy! Invite invite invite invite invite. Just do it.

Looking out the window of the train is awesome. It's only been two hours and everything is already soooo green. I'm so excited!

I will surely have a ton to write about next week!!! I'm so happy to be here and I'm excited for this change!
1. I love you all.
2. Keep being awesome.
3. The church is true.
4. I'm companions with an Hermana.
5. Don't throw the hotdogs away.

Elder Hendrix

No comments:

Post a Comment