Monday, November 16, 2015

Week 14: Overeating

Get ready for a story everyone!! This one is good I swear.

So a few days ago, we didn't have any lunch appointments, so we just ate with the other elders in our district. We went to a bakery and we each bought una barra de pan, and then went back to the piso and made a ton of pasta. We had soooo much food. I finished my entire barra de pan, 2 plates of pasta, and like half a thing of ice cream. And I'll add that I had like 6 cups of yogurt for breakfast that morning. So I was dang stuffed. Well, a few minutes after my last bite, about mid-food coma, we got a call from the Hermanas. "Where are you guys?? Are you coming?!" We apparently had a lunch appointment with a woman in the ward named Sarah..... "Hurry up! All of our plates are already on the table!" Uhhh.... Shoot. The Hermanas told Elder Gustafson earlier this week that Sarah invited all of us over for lunch... And he failed to inform me. And then he forgot about it. Therefore, I take zero blame. Anyway, we couldn't just say that we forgot about it after she had already prepared us food, so we went ahead and walked over to her house, shaking. I was scared haha there was no way I was gonna be able
to eat. 

Sarah is Nigerian, which means two things: one, there's gonna be a ton of food, and two, she's gonna be offended if we don't eat it. Well, we walked in to her house, and saw a plate of food for each of us on the table. A mountain of rice a mile high. And then Sarah comes from the kitchen with a huge pot of fried chicken, and tops off our rice with it. Perfect. I'm looking at my death. To summarize, after a good half hour, and to my surprise, I finished. And I swear it was the hardest thing I've done in my life. But then, Sarah got up and told us to follow her to the kitchen, where we found the biggest pot of rice I've ever seen. The amount of rice left could have fed a family of 10 easily. She threw another scoop of rice on my plate. And more chicken. I ate a few more bites of the chicken and tried my best to hide as much rice as I could under the bones haha... I'm so grateful for all the members here and everything, but the second we left that piso, I was the happiest man on earth. Walking downstairs was sooooo difficult. I had never been that full in my life. I'm pretty sure that my stomach stretched into the sides of my lungs, cause I was having trouble breathing haha. I walked out the door of the piso complex, took about 10 steps, then tumbled to the ground and starting puking my guts up. Fun stuff. And here I am now, 3 days later, still not wanting to see food ever again. Haha I'm feeling better though!

Felix is doing so good! I kinda broke his phone on accident, which is actually awesome because since that incident, he has read so much of the Book of Mormon! He came to church again yesterday too! This guy is so solid. I love watching him change. The gospel works wonders! He has progressed so much! Assuming everything goes good, he'll be baptized on the 19th of December. His work gave him 2 weeks off to take care of his mom who just had surgery, so we've been able to meet with him everyday for the past week in his piso. I can't wait to see him
baptized!


My Spanish is coming along, slowly, but it's coming! I still have trouble expressing myself during lessons, but I know I've improved so much. The members are telling me that my accent is spot on so I guess that's good!

I love it here in Torrejón so much! I'm so grateful to be here! I love watching our investigators progress. My testimony has grow so much in the past few months. I'm so grateful for this opportunity that I have to be here to share the gospel.

Que tenga una buena semana!

Con amor,

Elder Hendrix
Felix drives the missionaries in Torrejon.

No comments:

Post a Comment