Today I'm grateful for hot water. I love that stuff. And I miss it so much. It's getting pretty dang cold over here Hortaleza town, and the cold showers just keep on getting colder. We don't have hot water. Actually, very few people do here. But it's ok. I'll just take a really, really long hot shower at home in 8 months.
Anyway, this week was long, but good! Good things are happening in barrio 4.
I love the youth in this ward! They're some good kids! Something new that we've started doing is a youth noche de hogar every Tuesday night. And so far, it has been a huge success! We did it last week for the first time. We taught a lesson and played a game and the youth really seemed to enjoy it! Or at least I assume they did, because at the one this week, everyone brought friends! More and more youth are coming, so we're really excited. I love how these jóvenes have such strong desires to invite their friends to these activities!
We had a cool experience in the street this week. We were on our way to a lesson with a potential investigator, but he unfortunately failed us when we arrived. He wasn't home. So as a backup plan, we decided to street contact in the area. We had a cool conversation with the very first guy we stopped. It was a old Spaniard named Julian. We stopped him and asked how he was doing. We introduced ourselves as missionaries and begun talking about God and stuff. Julian explained to us that he believes God exists, but that his faith is decreasing. He wants to redevelop his testimony of the love that God has for his children, but it has been very difficult lately. He had several questions about why bad things happen to good people. For a lot of people, it's difficult to comprehend the fact that we have a loving Heavenly Father who really does want all of His children to be happy, while there is so much tragedy in the world. We talked for about an hour. It was a nice conversation. I was able to testify with all my heart of the reality of God, and that He really does love all of His children. Sometimes we wonder why God isn't manifesting himself unto us. We wait and wait and wait and wait, and we keep on waiting, expecting to find answers to our questions. But maybe an unanswered question is an invitation to look for ourselves. I know that if we do our part and we really show our faith and really work to show God that we want answers, He will bless us and give them to us. Those of you who may be waiting for answers to questions, I invite you to reflect and what you've done personally to find an answer. Anyway, Julian ended up denying a second discussion, but I feel very strongly that he left feeling inspired with increased faith. We often have great street contacts that don't end up accepting a second visit, but I'm always grateful to at least have been able to share my testimony. Rejection can be discouraging sometimes, but the thing that keeps me going is the frequent reminder from the spirit of the importance of this work. Julian had the opportunity to hear hear the gospel. And it makes me happy when I reflect on my day and write down the experiences I'm having. I just love being a missionary!
And that's about what happened this week. As always, I appreciate all the love and support each of you give me! I hope you all have a great week!
Elder Hendrix
No comments:
Post a Comment