This weekend has been difficult, but my heart is full. Today I am very grateful for a dear friend of mine from home, Trevor Lewis. Trevor has been fighting cancer for the past year and has been a champ handling it. He's been through several operations and medications, but has stayed positive. He's been a great example to me and I have so much respect for him. His friendship has been a blessing to my family. I consider him a brother. Trevor passed away this weekend. It's been a very difficult thing to process, but it makes me so grateful for the knowledge we have of the plan of salvation. Trevor died at 29 years old. I'm gonna miss him to death, but I know that this isn't where it ends.
I'm so very grateful for God's plan that he has for us. While it's hard to handle and process, I can't help but thank my Heavenly Father for this time that I have to be teaching people that physical death isn't the end. I testify of the reality of God. He knows us all personally. He has a plan for each of us. If we exercise our faith in him, he will bless us with a confirmation that he is there. He wants us to be happy. And I testify that a knowledge of these things really do bring us happiness and comfort.
A few days ago, before even hearing this news, I had a really special experience. My companion and I were on our way to an appointment, when this construction worker ran over to us from the sight where he was working. He stopped us and introduced himself. His name was Ivan. He's from Ecuador. He explained to us that he is a member, but hadn't been to church in over 30 years. His mother had passed away and then he became angry with God and just didn't understand why something like that would happen, so he quit going to church. He was furious. I thought about what he said. It made me think about why God would give us challenges. If he wants us to be happy, why would he allow us to suffer and be miserable?
We shared with him a scripture in Ether 12:27. "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." This verse makes me think of something interesting. If we didn't know what misery or hardship was, how would we know what it's like to be happy? Trials in our lives are opportunities to exercise faith. They're opportunities to develop humility. And when we show our faith and we put our trust in God, He will bless us! And we will be happy."I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it."
We asked Ivan if he had faith that God loves him. He said yes. So we invited him to act on that faith and show God that he really believes in the blessings and comfort that come by going back to church. He agreed to do so. We passed his phone number to the missionaries that serve in his area. He went to church. For the first time in 30 years, he went to church. All because his faith was rekindled by the Holy Ghost, confirming to him that God really does know His children and wants them to show their faith so that they can be happy. We experience trials and misery so that we are able to experience joy. We should be thankful for the trials that we are given. They help us grow. They help us progress. They help us understand that we have a purpose. I know that the plan of salvation is real.
I know that God loves us. And I know that He has Trevor in His hands.
Con cariño,
Elder Hendrix
The subject line is a Trevor quote that only like 4 of you will understand...
No comments:
Post a Comment