It's been a crazy week!! As I mentioned last week, I've been transferred. I'm now serving in Madrid in my new area called Barrio 9. And so far, I love it here! Being in Madrid again is so awesome! Last time I was serving here, I was a new missionary who struggled a ton with Spanish. And now that I'm back, it's been so cool reflecting on the last few months. My confidence in the language has increased so much, I'm better at talking to people, my testimony has grown a ton, and I'm just a billion times more happy and grateful to be a missionary! I've missed Madrid. There are so many different cultures here. There are actually hardly any Spaniards in the ward. There's a ton of people from Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Argentina, Chile, a million from Ecuador, Columbia... So many cultures! I love Latin American people so much! And the members are so nice! We had meals EVERY DAY this week!! And everyone is so motivated to get involved in missionary work! There are some solid families here too. It's been so awesome getting to know the members and talking to the people here! It's been an amazing first week here! We're already seeing so many miracles!
So first off, I'll talk about my new companion Elder Sasso. He's from Pittsburg and has been in the field for 22 months. This is his last transfer. I love serving with him! He's a machine! Honestly, he's one of the most hardworking missionaries I've seen. He's very motivated and talks to EVERYONE. I thought I knew what "talk to everyone" means, but this guy seriously talks to everything that breaths. It's so awesome! We've received a ton of references this week already. He's really funny. He and my friend Nick Berrett are exactly the same person I swear. Exact same humor and everything. He even has glasses. It's awesome!
Anyway, we've had some pretty sweet experiences this week! Here's the highlight... We were street contacting Monday night (the day I arrived here) and we stopped this woman named Rosario. She's from Peru and lives here with her daughter. She said we could come teach her in her home so on Wednesday, we passed by. And we had an AMAZING lesson!! This woman is dang prepared!!! She was so ready to hear the gospel! We
invited her to be baptized, and she said yes! We've already set a date for the 9th of July, and it's looking so good! We've already taught her a second time and she's so excited and anxious to learn! And she came to church yesterday!! We're so excited to work with her and help her progress towards baptism! More updates to come!
We were on our way back to piso one night this week, and when we got to the door, it was like 9:58 (we can go inside at 10 pm). So we decided we would do a quick pass-by of a reference we received a while back. We stopped by this guys piso, rang his bell, and he answered! He let us in and we talked to him for a while! His name is Isaac. We taught him and his brother Daniel the Restoration of the Gospel. It went really well! They said they would read the Book of Mormon and pray about it! It was a great reminder of the importance of staying
obedient and using our time effectively all the way until we need to be inside piso. If we had gone home right then, we wouldn't have been able to teach this guy! Obedience is so important!
We were out contacting one afternoon, when this random dude comes out of nowhere and says "Hey elders! I have someone you can teach!" It was weird. We had never even seen this guy. But he walked us to a random piso and knocked on the door and then walked away. These people that answered though, it turns out that they're members! It's a couple that moved here a few months ago, but they've been really nervous about coming to a new ward, so they just never came. We shared with them a scripture about the Sabbath day and stuff and them invited them to come. They said they were very happy that we stopped by and talked to them! And guess what! They came to church yesterday! And they had an awesome time! All the needed was someone to invite them! There are less active members out there, and sometimes all they need is someone to reach out to them. I'm so grateful we were led to their home!
Basically, we're seeing a lot of miracles in this area! I'm so grateful to be here in Madrid. I'm so grateful for missionary work and for this time that I have to serve the Lord in Spain.
I hope you all have a good week!
Oh by the way, today for P day we went bowling with our district, and we made a deal that we would all pitch in to buy the winner lunch. Little did they know, I'm a champ. So basically, I got 7 strikes in one game and scored a total of 202. So I ate for free at Brasayleña. And thus it was.
Elder Hendrix
| Elder Hendrix bowling with his district in Madrid, Barrio 9. |
No comments:
Post a Comment