Monday, April 18, 2016

Week 36: Jello

Elder Hendrix at Muxia.

I invented a game. It's called jello. When you're standing in a crowded bus, metro, or train, you're not allowed to move your feet. It's difficult since keeping balance is such an art. So when it's bumpy and you lose balance, you fall into someone. So here's the game... You have to talk to the first person you bump in to and start up a conversation. Well, this past Wednesday, literally all of our lessons failed on us. And, like always, it was pouring rain. So we spent the entire afternoon in a bus talking to people! And we got quite a few references! I love contacting in transportation settings. It's a great opportunity to practice sharing the gospel in just a few minutes. Buses are quick, so sometimes you only get like 30 seconds! It's a lot of fun though. And if you mess up or the contact just goes bad, it's ok cause when that person gets off the bus, a new person gets on, which means you get a retry. That's one thing I love about contacting. There's always second chances.

So Tyler Haws' birthday was this week! We had a little party with them and ate food and cake and stuff. It was awesome! We invited over some youth in the branch and some young adults and we played basketball! It
was so much fun! Tyler is the coolest mission leader ever. The highlight of that activity was that I somehow managed to get lucky and tie Tyler in a three point shootout... That's going on my résume.

We had an appointment with this guy that lives on the completely opposite side of Santiago this week. He lives on top of a giant mountain. And it was raining sooooo hard that day. And of course the wind was insane. And there's no bus that goes over there. So we had like an hour and a half hike to this place and it was crazy. I was
completely drenched and freezing. Well, we knocked on the door, and he wasn't even home... So that's awesome. But it's ok cause my quads got massive. And then I was reminded of how amazing it is to be a
missionary. Hiking in storms is the worst. But it's the best. Even if our lesson fails us, there's still something about putting in effort that makes it so satisfying. I've definitely grown a testimony of putting my trust in the Lord. I know that he knows what he's doing. There is a reason behind everything.

Gonzalo is progressing! His baptismal date of May 14th is looking good! We're so excited! I love that guy! He's like my best friend in Santiago. He came to basketball this week and has loved getting to know the members. We had a really good lesson with him last night. He's reading the Book of Mormon, praying, and is right on track to being baptized.

I've been teaching Elder Trassierra to pray in English and it's going really well! Being companions with a native has been interesting. It's hard, but I feel like my Spanish has improved a ton.

The pinewood derby is this Friday!! We're so pumped! There's gonna be food, desserts, prizes, ahh I'm excited! I'll report back next week!

So today for P day the Bake's drove us to a place called Muxia (moo-shee-uh). It's this huge chunk of land that's just covered with boulders. It's right on the coast and the weather was amazing! Ahhhh and ocean smell. It wasn't dark overcast rainy like Santiago! Such a nice change! Pictures attached...

Anyway, sorry this weeks email is short... I love you all and I'm so grateful for your support!

Elder Hendrix

Oh one more thing... Spanish government decided to be dumb, so I can't get packages any more... Letters are still good though so keep them coming haha.
Elder Hendrix at Muxia.

Elders Trassierra and Hendrix at Muxia.
An old church at Muxia.

Inside an old church at Muxia.

Elders Hendrix and Trassierra in front of
a Santiago cathedral that is being refurbished.

No comments:

Post a Comment