Monday, March 21, 2016

Week 32: Don't take the cheese block

The sun is shining, the tank is clean, and we are getting out of here!  *dramatic gasp* The sun is shining. THE SUN IS SHINING IN SANTIAGO.

Another awesome week full of teaching and weird food!

I don't have any huge stories this time, so this is just a little update on how things are going here in Santiago!

We're working a lot with members now! This awesome for us because the members haven't always trusted the missionaries. I guess something happened a while ago with some elders offending someone, idk, but things are changing! We visited just about every member this week. I feel like they trust us and are excited to work with us! It's awesome!

The Bujan family invited us over for food this week... I love that family, but chicken feet and rice pudding don't really work in the same meal. It was interesting... I'm glad I got to experience chicken feet, but if I never had it again, that would be ok. Everyone in Spain makes rice pudding for dessert. I don't understand why. It's not
dessert. It's literally rice and milk. Dessert doesn't really exist here... Like the other day we went had lunch with a member named Belenda, and the postre was a block of cheese. A block of straight cheese. And Spaniards love that stuff. Like Belenda destroyed that thing like it was a Texas Roadhouse roll. I don't get it.

We met with Pedro, an investigator, twice this week. He's doing really well! He's always asking questions and really enjoys the lessons. Were just trying to get him to wake up on Sunday to go to church! He has a 13-year-old sister named Cielo that the Hermanas are teaching. They live with their mom in a piso. The mom is super nice and is really supportive. She tells us she loves when we come over cause it gets Pedro out of his room haha. She doesn't usually join us for the lessons, but we're trying! We want to have a noche de hogar with all 3
of them this week. We'll see!

We have English classes every Wednesday.  I LOVE teaching English! We have two classes, a beginner and more advanced. I teach the advanced one, so we do more practice with conversations. It's so much fun! We
were talking about our favorite music and this one girl said her favorite singer is Michael Buble, and I told her that I saw him in concert one time, and she started bawling. She was seriously crying. I thought she was laughing at first... But she walked out and didn't come back... I have no idea what I did.

We have a noche de hogar with these 2 guys from Ecuador every Monday night. Jose and Jonathon. They're 21 and 13 and they're brothers. They always invite a lot of their friends and the turn out keeps getting better! First it was just them 2 and one cousin. And then Jose invited 2 friends that always come. And now Jonathan brings his girlfriend. And tonight, Jose says he has another friend coming! We're so excited! Lessons in that house are soooo much fun! We sing a song, have a short lesson, and play a game and eat food. We have a good time! Hopefully, we will be able to start teaching some of these people soon! There's some solid potential!

We had an activity with branch this weekend. A tortilla de patata competition! Everyone made a tortilla and we all tasted them and voted on the best one. The winner was this less active girl named Sheila. I'm so glad she won because she seemed so happy! She came to church on Sunday and everyone was talking about how they want her recipe! Tyler and Summer got destroyed. They got last place haha.

A tortilla-making contest at church.  Tyler Haws is the
tallest one, and his wife Summer is in red.
Tyler is awesome. He's the coolest mission leader ever. He's super encouraging and always has awesome ideas. And every time we go to his house for correlation, he has American candy. And sometimes Summer
makes pancakes. It's the beeessst.

The branch threw a surprise party for a girl named Ana Clara. She turned 15 this week. Elder Trassierra and I decided to invite ourselves and we had an awesome time! We really are building great relationships with the members! Which is why we went. Kinda. I mean there was free empanadas, but the members are cool too. :)

Ok here's the crazy story of the week. A few days ago, Elder Trassierra and I were in a papelería getting some stuff laminated, when all of a sudden this random guy comes out of no where and shoves me into the wall and gets up in my face and starts yelling at me. I had noooooo idea what was going on! I couldn't understand a thing he was saying and didn't know who the heck he was or what he wanted! I've never seen this guy in my life! Some of the employees in the store came over to try to get him to come down and then he just growls "You got a problem with me? I saw you staring me down in the conference (we had stake conference last week). You can't just talk to me face to face?? If you got an issue with me you better tell me." I was scared haha I have never seen this dude in my life and had no idea what he was saying. I didn't see him at the conference. I didn't even talk to many people at the conference cause I was playing piano! But basically, I told him it must be a misunderstanding and that I have nothing against him. I guess he's actually a member, but he's been inactive for years... I'm still confused about the whole thing. But I'm pretty sure we're on ok terms now. Weird stuff. So
random. I didn't do anything I swear!

And that's about it! Things are going great here! I'm having an awesome time and I've loved every second of my mission. I'm so grateful for this opportunity I have to share the gospel in Spain. Being a missionary is the best ever. Definitely the best decision I've made. I love teaching others about this knowledge that we have. This
church is true!

I hope you all have an awesome week!

TELL MY MOM HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON FRIDAY! SHES TURNING 29.

Elder Hendrix


No comments:

Post a Comment