Monday, March 7, 2016

Week 30: La Carrera

So as I've mentioned in previous emails, the work here in Santiago is slower and a bit discouraging sometimes. We haven't had many teaching opportunities. The relationship between the members and the missionaries is not great. We really don't have any of their support for some reason. I think there was a companionship a long time ago that might have offended them or something, so it has been really difficult to work with them. We really want to change that because, with their help and support, Santiago could have some serious potential. So our district got together one day this week and we started brainstorming. What is an activity we can plan to do with the branch that will provide them an opportunity to bond? I went on a split with another Elder in my zone, and he was telling me that they are having a ton of success with finding people because they plan fun activities for their branch to invite friends to. Literally all of their investigators are references from members. And that's what we need in Santiago! We need member support! And so I explained this to my district. Guys, we need to have an amazing activity with the branch that will be fun and exciting and successful. We have tried an FHE type of thing several times, but it hasn't worked out. What is something that will catch everyone's attention? What is something that they would want to invite their friends to? And then the most brilliant thing ever popped into my head. Pinewood Derby. Hahahaha what if we had a little pinewood derby in Santiago? It was just a fun idea. But then we started looking at it more seriously. We made a car out of a block of styrofoam and made wheels out of thick poster board, and it works! And then we made a track. And it worked! So we decided what the heck. Let's do this. So we went and bought a ton of styrofoam blocks and stuff for wheels. And we made little flyer things to give to members. And they are SO pumped!!! Everybody wants to do it! They're all talking about how cool their cars are gonna be and how excited they are! We've never had an activity where more than like 5 people come, so this is so exciting!!! It's gonna work!!!!! We are officially holding the first annual carrera de la Rama de Santiago on April 9. This activity is gonna be a success! Members are starting to trust us! I'll keep you all updated! Great things are happening up here!


Elder Hendrix built a pinewood (styrofoam) derby for the ward.
We had stake conference on Sunday. My companion and I had to go a few hours early because we had usher, so while we were waiting for people to start coming, I was playing some piano. And then the 70 that was presiding came up to me and asked if I would play some prelude. They never told me when to stop... So I played piano for almost 2 straight hours.. Haha it was great!

Transfers are today! I'm staying in Santiago, but Elder Wither is going to Madrid. It was a short 5 weeks with him, but it was a great experience. I love that guy! My new companion is Elder Trassierra. ANOTHER native! He's from southern Spain. His train doesn't get here until tonight, but he sounds like a cool guy! I haven't met him, but I'm excited to! This is gonna be a fun transfer!

While I wait for my new companion, I get to hang out with the Bake's all day. They took me and Hermana Bingham (who is also waiting for her new comp) to the beach again today! We went to this really famous sightseeing place called Finnesterre (end of the world). It's like a big cliff that goes over the ocean. It was sooooooo ridiculously windy. There's this tunnel place thing in the rocks where you can stand and lean forward and the wind holds you up. It's so cool! Pictures to come...




Elder Hendrix at Finnesterre (the end of the world)
This weekend has been really difficult. I received news that a very dear friend of mine has passed away. Any of you that knew Keli know that she was an amazing young woman. I am so grateful to have had such an awesome friend like her. Times like these are when I'm especially grateful to be teaching others about the plan that God has for us. I know that He knows each of us personally and knows the challenges we face. He loves us. I know that the Plan of Salvation is designed for us to be able to experience eternal joy and happiness. Keli and her family will most definitely be in my prayers.

I love you all and I'm so grateful for all of your support! Have an awesome week!

Elder Hendrix

No comments:

Post a Comment