How does it feel to be going home in one week? Seems to have been the topic of every discussion this past weekend. Kind of impossible to avoid the question. Honestly, I feels like just yesterday Milan and I were camped out by the mailbox with our Sonic drinks waiting for the mail lady to come around the corner. Brother Mask pulled up out of nowhere in a car full of young men and told them "This will be you guys soon! Prepare for it!" I remember perfectly the day I opened that letter. Spain Madrid Mission?? I didn't even know where Spain was. But I remember how excited I was to just serve. I was nervous and didn't know what to expect. But I remember feeling so happy to just go out and do what God needed me to do.
That was 28 months ago. And now here I am in the last week of my mission. And holy goodness gracious what an adventure it has been. This has been a decision that I know I will never regret. It has been the hardest thing I've ever done, but at the same time it has been the most incredible experience of my life. I remember first starting the paperwork for a mission, not entirely sure why I was doing it. I didn't know why I was going, but for some reason I just felt like it was what I needed to do. And I'm so grateful that I trusted that feeling. Because I now know why I decided to do this. I feel like I took it for granted being raised in the church. But being here in Spain the past two years has really opened my eyes. Living the teachings of Jesus Christ really is the most important thing that can be done in order to find true and eternal happiness. I didn't understand that before my mission. And to be sincere, I didn't fully understand why I was serving a mission even when I entered the field. But like I said, I knew there was a reason that I felt that I needed to go. Having had the opportunity to help others receive the gospel has been the most incredible experience of my life. And sharing my own testimony has not only helped me grow personally, but it has been the most amazing thing ever witnessing how the gospel changes lives. I've seen people go from rock bottom to the temple. And being able to see God extend his hand and his love in the lives of others and helping them feel the power and beauty of the atonement of Jesus Christ has made the mission worth every second. The atonement is perfect and real. And I feel that there are certain things that happen in the mission, that can't be experienced anywhere else, that have developed and increased my eternal perspective of life in general, as well as the reality of the living Savior.
And so with all of this being said, I direct the following guidance to young men or women who may be preparing for, thinking about, or even doubting the idea of serving a mission. First of all, God loves you. He is aware of your concerns, your worries, your interests, and everything that may be at hand. Second. He will never leave you. He is always by your side and will always guide you with His spirit if you're continually striving to be a worthy of it. And lastly, He needs you to trust him. If you feel that He is telling you something, trust that feeling and go for it! It might not seem convenient, or the easiest, but as the scriptures teach us, everything good comes from God. The adversary will always be working heckin' hard to stop you and prevent you from doing what ever He may want you to do, but that's why He needs you to trust Him. He needs you to trust Him so you can exercise your faith and overcome weaknesses. I promise that as you do this, you will witness the power and beauty of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and that you will have desires to follow Him. I know that this is true because I've personally experienced it.
As always, I'm so grateful for all our your support over these past 2 years. This week will be full of goodbyes, and it'll be hard to leave all these amazing people I've met, but I'm excited to see where the Lord will guide me.
I hope you all have a fantastic week!
Elder Hendrix
No comments:
Post a Comment