Monday, January 9, 2017

Week 74: Cubans and Volcanos are neat


Tuesday was absolutely amazing! I had the most incredible experience I've ever had in my entire mission. We had the most beautiful and powerful lesson I've ever been a part of before. We taught two amazing people who are so dang prepared, Mayalene and Miguel. They're a young married couple from Cuba. We were able to discuss a gospel topic for the first time, and it was unbelievably maravilloso. I don't think I've ever felt the spirit like that in my life. It was sooo strong. Ah, it would take forever to even summarize the lesson in an email. 

Basically, like I said, this was the first time we had taught them. They're a young married couple that regularly come to English class and occasionally stay afterwards for the noche de hogar on Fridays. They even came to the ward Christmas dinner party a few weeks ago. Our friendship with them is really great. They actually cooked us a Cuban comida in the chapel one day during mediodía, and that was when we really got to know them. So they're familiar with what the church is like, but we've never formally taught them and had a discussion. A few days ago, I asked Mayalene if we could meet in the chapel with her and her husband and just chat for a little bit. They came Tuesday morning. I've been praying hard for this couple. We sat down and just started chatting, and I kept a prayer in my heart that we would be able to find a way to transition into a gospel topic. I can't describe this two hour conversation in words. It was just incredible. We taught them the restoration of the gospel. And after we finished talking about the Book of Mormon, Mayalene was in tears. Like waterfall mode. 

She started to tell a story of when they first moved here four months ago. She talked about how politically degrading Cuban government is and how it was just really hard leaving their country. They love their country, but felt like leaving would keep them stable. They thought that Spain would provide them a better lifestyle. She was crying as she explained everything. Then, she talked about her first few weeks in Tenerife. She would walk up and down the same street every day, and she always saw this little sign that said English classes on it. She saw it every day and kept on having strong impressions to call the number. "I didn't even have much interest. I guess I just wanted to go to pass the time." But she felt like she just needed to call. She talked about it with Miguel. They started coming to English class every week. We've developed such a strong friendship with them. But we had never had an actual lesson with them until this week. Mayalene explained that she now understands why that sign was put in her path. She was led to call that phone number for a reason. She said she strongly believes that this is a sign. I LOVE THIS COUPLE. Miguel started tearing up too. They asked what is required to be a member of the church. We testified about the importance of having desires to follow Christ. They accepted a baptismal invitation. They're gonna go home and talk about it and pray about it. But I KNOW THEY FELT SOMETHING. Ah man, I love the mission so much! They came to church for the first time yesterday. And they loved it! Updates to come! That lesson was just absolutely amazing. The spirit was insane. I know the church is true! The gospel is incredible! 

Moving on... We have a friend named Tonio. He's the coolest dude ever. Today he drove us up to Teide, the top of the island. It's the highest mountain in Spain. And it was totally covered in snow! So basically, we saw snow, forest, volcano rock, beach, desert, and jungle all in the same day. Gotta love Tenerife. This is the greatest place ever. And thus it is.

Have a great week!

Elder Hendrix
Elder Hendrix and the missionaries on Tenerife visit Teide,
the highest mountain on the island.
Elders Bellon and Hendrix at Teide.
Elders Hendrix and Bellon with Jose Antonio and his daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment