Monday, December 5, 2016

Week 69: Monkey Park

Hello friends!

This week was a good one! The weather has been absolutely amazing this week too. It's like high 60's every day and it's so nice! I don't think that being on this island will ever get old. It's hard to complain about walking out in the streets all day long because I got to be in such perfect weather AND preach the gospel. There's always a slight breeze and it's just awesome. Our sacrament room in the church is on top of a building, and the doors are always left open. So we even get to sit through church meetings with that nice breeze coming in. 

Anyway, we had a great week with some great lessons! We've been teaching an 18 year old named Jóse who has a baptismal date for this month. He's a great kid! He came to church yesterday and loves to participate in the classes! We're really excited for his progression. We had another investigator in church named Maria. She comes about every week actually. She has been taught for a few months now. She's really great, the only issue is that she is meeting with about 5 other religions and just wants to know literally everything about everything before she chooses a church. But she has been progressing lately. We're working on helping her understand how to receive an answer through prayer. She has great desires and has a good heart. She always comes to English classes too. We love her!

P-day today was really fun! Mondays are great on the islands! We went to this zoo called Monkey Park. Zoos here are way cooler than the United States because they're not safe at all. You can go inside all the cages. You just gotta be careful. The only exhibit with a cage is the alligator one. But still, if you were a little 5 year old, you could easily fall right over the rail. But anyway, it was a fun p-day! The monkey part was the coolest. They climb all over you and you can feed them. Just be careful that you're never standing right under one that's up in a tree. he might poop on you. Yes, I got pooped on.
Elder Hendrix feeds a new friend at Monkey Park.

Elder Hendrix poses with an iguana.


Elder Knaphus and I are continuing to work hard! We did a lot of contacting this week and received a ton of references, so we're excited to see if there's some success with meeting with them! The work is going surprisingly well here. There are a TON of tourists here, but we somehow manage to find people that actually live here on the island. Probably 90% of the people we stop in the street are here on vacation though. And a ton of them are from other parts of Europe and speak English, so it's been so weird trying to teach in English. It's so uncomfortable. I'm so used to stopping people in Spanish so now when I do it, I try to directly translate into English and then it just comes out weird because direct translations aren't the same at all. So it's been interesting! 

Anyway, that's about the week went. I love my calling and I'm so grateful to be here! I know that this is the work of the Lord and that this gospel brings so many blessings. love you all! Have a great week!

Don't get pooped on by a monkey.

Elder Hendrix 

No comments:

Post a Comment